News: Welcome! Login or sign-up!

• October 14, 2019, 01:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New tailgating "houses". Would you?  (Read 1963 times)

Admin

• Administrator
New tailgating "houses". Would you?
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
Anyone actually paying the 5 grand for one of these things? Seems a bit steep for just a half of a day. I like the old fashioned way of tailgating.

JamesGSTV

Re: New tailgating "houses". Would you?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »
If you have the money, why not. I'm sure it's being rented in large groups. To me, they look like over glorified storage units.

SonofGus

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:15:14 PM »
I wouldn't. Too much money. You can only fit maybe 6 people comfortably. I'd rather have 2 white lot passes and have some tents, a grill, etc. I like the "regular" way of tailgating, plus you meet people that way. I can just see other alumni/students thinking it is cool because it is new, but then not really giving a sh*t afterwards.

GSUgreek499

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
Nope sorry. Love meeting new eagle fans and having corn hole, and ladder ball, etc. Plus I doubt you can play beer pong in those things.

TrueBlue08

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
I think the vanity will wear off here soon. Cool, but not for me. To rent one out for the season, I could buy a new car.

GSURNG

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
If I had the money yes. They obviously were priced low based on how fast the sold out. Money is relative if you have group of well off friends 5K to them might be 500 for most. I believe it is by the RAC so it is not like they are isolated and can stay till midnight. To each his own. I think I heard there were 8 so at 5K that is nearly a quarter of a mil. If these things can bring in closer to a mil in the future then that might mean one less money game or losing a coach to some mid level P5 due to money.

Eagleskins

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »
Just loved seeing the rubes on the other board totally whiff on this like most of their predictions. 

GSURNG

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »
Just loved seeing the rubes on the other board totally whiff on this like most of their predictions.

Yeah the  "experts" whiffed but lets leave that board there and focus on being a breath of fresh air here.

Hail Southern

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
It was a total lead pipe lock that they would sell out. A great idea to bring in extra revenue.

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
They kind of remind me of the "Cockaboose's" over at South Carolina, but these are better, classier, and more well thought out. Just put off by the price.

GSURNG

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »
It was a total lead pipe lock that they would sell out. A great idea to bring in extra revenue.

Our budget was low for the FCS we need all the revenue we can get. Although it obviously gets exponentially better every year we are hampered by a small alumni base a lot of which did not see any football.

If they sold out that fast we either need to get a lot more or charge more.  This is one reason why I have no earthly idea why they are waiting on expanding the north side. TK is saying they want to get to 10K in ticket sales but where is the room to get there? Also I have been in those suites they are nothing special. If folks are willing to shell out 5K for basically a really nice trailer to hang out it before the game how much do you think those people would be willing to fork over for brand new state of the art luxury suites? Little chicken or egg but at minimum get some plans out and see what the response is. That mentality is a little Bakerish in that the customer has to do the work first, we were stuck in neutral for over a decade with that line of thought.

GSUgreek499

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Yeah it is money for the department. Kinda surprised we can't sell 10k worth of tickets...

GSURNG

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
Yeah it is money for the department. Kinda surprised we can't sell 10k worth of tickets...

When you have a small alumni base where a good portion did not see one football game while at GSC on top of most being retired school teachers you can understand a little better. I don't think a lot of the younger base gets how small this school was when football was restarted. Or how much the university has come in the last three +/- decades. What you see today is even a far cry from what GSU was just ten years ago.Our alumni base size is well below most comparable programs. We have about 75K living alums where as school like UF has hundreds of thousands. If you did the ratios my guess is that we are probably overachieving at this point especially being stuck in FCS neutral since 2000. When we restarted football we had about 6500+/- students. We did not have over 1000 students until 1957. We basically have no alumni where they grew up on GSU football and or have no kids to pay for. Our first class of students that had four years of football if they graduated on time are just now around 53 years old. Needless to say we don't have thousands of deep pocket older alums with nothing else to pay for or do than to support their favorite college team. As long as we maintain a winning program we will look like ECU, UCF in no time.