News: Welcome! Login or sign-up!

• May 23, 2019, 01:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game used helmets  (Read 4630 times)

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
Game used helmets
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
Have these two game used helmets. I believe they are from the same player. Would love to know what year(s) they were worn and who wore them.

SonofGus

Re: Game used helmets
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
very cool. Didn't realize we changed the font of the numbers. Thought they have always been the same.

ErkGATA

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
I would say that the one on the right would've been Zzream Walden, with the old red/white/blue SoCon logo.....that would've been during my years. 1998-2002

The other 1, I don't believe we ever used that # decal style.  That's more of a Bama style number. And this could be Marquis Maynard, the player that had 22 after Z

But all the other decals are legit decals used during my stay.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:12:36 PM by ErkGATA »

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
I acquired them from the same person, and checked them out, neither have been re-decaled. The older one with the egop facemask, the facemask and clips are dated '99, but the chinstrap is dated 02, but cannot date the shell, numbers are hard to read.

ErkGATA

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
I just know we never used & haven't used that style of #2 on the side.......unless someone made a mocked up helmet

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »
It has the same front bumper decal as the other helmet, and the SoCon decal is over the warning label. Has significant use on the facemask and shell. Wouldn't make sense for it not to be a game helmet....Everything is the same except the number decals..Maybe someone had another GSU gamer and changed the numbers? But if that was the case then why is there a #22 decal on the rear? Confused.

ErkGATA

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
We aleays placed the decal inside the helmet, before they go striped or number, but if a walk on was using that number we would have a triple digit #.......and Stewart kept old shells around too.....My guess is it was an old helmet, they have gotten decaled up as much as possible for promotional uses.  But we would've never cover the Warning label either, bc that's a big no, no.  And they may have had a sample of those other numbers.

These are just things, I have seen over those 5 seasons in the equipment room

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
I knew that you were not allowed to cover up the warning label, that is why I thought it was odd. Interesting though. Do you know The current AD Tom by any chance? Would love to swing an idea by him, only take 5-10 mins.

Scott Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
Yeah my best guess would be that the helmet in question was sent off by Stewart for reconditioning, and it came back rejected. Basically saying hey, this helmet has seen too much wear and tear. Once that happens stew always kept them as giveaways and autograph helmets. As for where the decal came from...??? Could've been given to someone else in marketing or just elsewhere in athletics who had the 22 decals. It honestly kinda looks like the ones you can get on the cheap replica Schutt helmets. Definitely one of ours, just not the 22.

Scott Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:07:03 AM »
The 22 on the back also looks like the stickers we used to put inside the helmet, which would mean this helmet belonged to the player IN locker 22. Not just a 100+ locker player wearing 22 for games

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
Anyway I could get a set of correct decals for the side?

Scott Smith

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
We used to order from ADI, now we get them from Healy. You may be able to contact them about ordering some

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
Thanks, now I need to find out who actually wore the helmet

ERK

• Administrator
  • "One more time!"
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »
If I can date the helmet shell, do any of you think you can find out who has locker #22 for that year? Want to restore the helmet back to what it should be.

Scott Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
If the shell is dated, it cant say too much. Swope  for example, may have had a shell dated 2008. Well once a player leaves his helmet can be reused for say...breida. Assuming the helmet date is 2002 and you were given it in 2005. All that will tell us is who wore the helmet last, because of the decals. Better than dating the shell would be dating the year it was decommissioned. Then you'd know who last wore it. As to who all wore it? Impossible